|Appears in||Alpha Protocol|
|Profession/Title||Freelance Photojournalist, Hired Assassin|
|Status||Active Duty, Hidden or Executed (Player's Choice)|
|Portrayed by||Courtenay Taylor|
Scarlet Lake is a photojournalist in the game Alpha Protocol. She is known around the world, covering developments in dangerous places. Scarlet Lake is nearly immune to talk, reserving her respect for people who let their actions speak for themselves.
- "If there is no risk, it's not important."
- — Scarlet
Widely regarded as one of the best photojournalists in the world, Scarlet Lake has won multiple awards for her work - especially covering notoriously dangerous areas and subjects - and has been wooed by many magazines and press agencies eager to win the exclusive rights to her services. Intelligent, charming, and well-traveled, Scarlet has a reputation for professionalism that ensures she is well spoken of by many in her field: many people brag that they know her well, although with the frequency she travels, it is doubtful that they do.
On the job, Scarlet changes moods on the fly to get access to the shots she needs, alternately becoming vibrant, cheerful, and charming - then cold, aloof, and aristocratic as need be. One thing is for certain - she's daring (or crazy) enough to enter regions that scare other pros, which is responsible for many of the awards she's received over the years. Scarlet is focused on the story and the facts and getting the truth to the public, damn the political consequences - which makes her a perfect source for any news uncovered on corrupt American corporations or their government affiliates.
While Scarlet is technically an American citizen, she has traveled so extensively, it would be difficult for her to call any one nation "home." She became a world traveler at a young age - she first landed in Italy when she was ten, living in a villa in the countryside outside of Milan. According to reports, her mother, Rosemarie, was much the same way, frequently gone for long periods of time on excursions across the globe. Scarlet has had few close friends (she was home-schooled from age ten onwards), but was reportedly extremely close to her mother.
Scarlet and her mother were forced to become world travelers due to troubles in the States... Scarlet's mother's identity in the CIA was leaked for political reasons, causing her to flee the states and take up residence abroad. Her mother died of cancer when Scarlet was twenty, and Scarlet left their home and began her career in photojournalism, starting with a violent protest in France, then moving on to Monaco, and the elsewhere across the globe, never staying long in any one place.
Secret Fact: Scarlet is a freelance assassin employed by Halbech. She has leveraged her photojournalism career into that of a sniper, and she is the one who shot Ronald Sung. The reason she became involved in the events in Taipei is unclear, but it must have allowed her to get closer to Sung for some reason.
Interactions with Mike ThortonEdit
- She is possible romance option.
- She is a potential handler for Endgame (Mike will find her in the interrogation room and has the option to either let her go or join forces).
- She is found in the Taipei hub.
- Any Halbech Data can be e-mailed to her for $1000 and +1 reputation.
- At the end of the game there is an alternative where it is revealed (either by Omen Deng when you decide to copy the data from your PDA or Scarlet herself when you talk to her in the interrogation room) that Scarlet is the assassin who killed (or tried to kill, depending on your choices) President Sung from Taiwan. She worked for Leland, but you can have Scarlet killed. You may choose to free her - she'll help you in the fight on the hallroom and Parker, should you not convince him to your cause earlier. And if you choose to free her up she will be at the boat with you at the end of the level, starting her new life with US Governament fugitive Michael Thorton.
On an airplane
select "Suave" +1 rep.
select "Casual" +1 rep.
select "Halbech" +1 rep.
skip/select "Friendly" -1 rep.
|Animosity or Hatred||Rivalry II||-10% cooldown on all Abilities|
|Dislike||Rivalry||-5% cooldown on all Abilities|
|Neutral to Trusted||Death By Zoom Lens||+1 Accuracy with the Pistol and Assault Rifle|
|Friendship||Death By Zoom Lens II||+2 Accuracy with the Pistol and Assault Rifle|
- Automatically gained after finishing with Saudi Arabia, during your first encounter with Scarlet on the airplane. You will always have this meeting, it does not matter which hub you choose to go to first.
- During the Investigate Warehouse District Data Trail mission, after bugging the servers, there is a file close to the exit towards the roofs (where the jamming device is).
- Gained after hacking a computer on the 3rd floor of the embassy during the Intercept Surkov at US Embassy mission.
- Scarlet's dossier describes her personality exactly. When you first meet her she appears friendly and even flirty, later in her emails she tries to appear casual and tell jokes. Once you get her to open up (when you meet her), she reveals her true personality of a quiet and closed off woman.
- If questioned on her career as an assassin, she will reveal she's been an assassin since she was 14. She will also go to tell you that she personally only kills the target and never takes collateral damage. This makes sense as Halbech is the one who arranged the riots in Taipei.