Scarlet Lake is a photojournalist in the game Alpha Protocol. She is known around the world, covering developments in dangerous places. Scarlet Lake is nearly immune to talk, reserving her respect for people who let their actions speak for themselves.
She meets Michael Thorton immediately after the events of Operation Desert Spear on a flight out of Saudi Arabia. She becomes an ally, aiding him in exposing Halbech's wrong doings by publishing the evidence he finds in the field.
- "If there is no risk, it's not important."
- — Scarlet Lake
- "When I was a little girl, I always wanted to grow up to be a honey trap. Thanks so much, Mike."
- — Scarlet Lake's offended sarcastic response should Michael Thorton suggest she flirt with a Halbech executive to gain information.
Widely regarded as one of the best photojournalists in the world, Scarlet Lake has won multiple awards for her work - especially covering notoriously dangerous areas and subjects - and has been wooed by many magazines and press agencies eager to win the exclusive rights to her services. Intelligent, charming, and well-traveled, Scarlet has a reputation for professionalism that ensures she is well spoken of by many in her field: many people brag that they know her well, although with the frequency she travels, it is doubtful that they do.
On the job, Scarlet changes moods on the fly to get access to the shots she needs, alternately becoming vibrant, cheerful, and charming - then cold, aloof, and aristocratic as need be. One thing is for certain - she's daring (or crazy) enough to enter regions that scare other pros, which is responsible for many of the awards she's received over the years. Scarlet is focused on the story and the facts and getting the truth to the public, damn the political consequences - which makes her a perfect source for any news uncovered on corrupt American corporations or their government affiliates.
While Scarlet is technically an American citizen, she has traveled so extensively, it would be difficult for her to call any one nation "home." She became a world traveler at a young age - she first landed in Italy when she was ten, living in a villa in the countryside outside of Milan. According to reports, her mother, Rosemarie, was much the same way, frequently gone for long periods of time on excursions across the globe. Scarlet has had few close friends (she was home-schooled from age ten onwards), but was reportedly extremely close to her mother.
Scarlet and her mother were forced to become world travelers due to troubles in the States... Scarlet's mother's identity in the CIA was leaked for political reasons, causing her to flee the states and take up residence abroad. Her mother died of cancer when Scarlet was twenty, and Scarlet left their home and began her career in photojournalism, starting with a violent protest in France, then moving on to Monaco, and the elsewhere across the globe, never staying long in any one place.
Secret Fact: Scarlet is a freelance assassin employed by Halbech. She has leveraged her photojournalism career into that of a sniper, and she is the one who shot Ronald Sung. The reason she became involved in the events in Taipei is unclear, but it must have allowed her to get closer to Sung for some reason.
Interactions with Michael ThortonEdit
- Michael meets her immediately after his mission in Saudi Arabia. They converse on the airplane out of the country where they exchange contact information. From then on, any Halbech Data can be e-mailed to her for $1000 and +1 reputation.
- She is possible romance option.
- She is a potential handler for the final mission (Mike will find her in the interrogation room and has the option to either let her go or join forces).
- She is encountered in person again in the Taipei hub. She offers her aid in Michael's mission to investigate Halbech's plot to assassinate Taiwanese president Ronald Sung.
- At the end of the game in the final mission, Michael can discover through Omen Deng should the player decide to copy the data from your PDA or by Scarlet herself when she is found in the interrogation room that Scarlet is the assassin who killed (or tried to kill, depending on the player's choices) President Sung in Taiwan. She worked for Halbech, as a freelance assassin. The player is given the choice to free her or execute her. Should she be freed, she can be told to leave or be asked to join forces. Should the latter be chosen, she'll help you in the fight leading up to the server room and in the server room itself. If the player chooses to go after Leland and/or the data immediately rather than going to where Mina Tang is being held, Scarlet will be at the boat with you at the end of the level, starting her new life with US Government fugitive Michael Thorton.
- If Scarlet is not encountered in the interrogation room of the Graybox when Michael infiltrates the facility, she can be encountered again if Henry Leland is encountered (and subsequently beaten). If the player decides to spare Leland, Scarlet will arrive and shoot Michael, wounding him as he prepares to arrest Leland. Leland will order her to kill Michael, which she refuses to do - citing that Leland has yet to pay her for any of her work. At this point the player can either convince her to side with Michael, or signal their handler to kill her. The former will result in her shooting Leland dead, bidding Michael goodbye and quickly leaving the premises.
|Friendship||Death By Zoom Lens II||+2 Accuracy with the Pistol and Assault Rifle||Hearing Scarlet Lake over your earpiece keeps you centered and aware - a state of mind that's quite useful for lining up a perfect shot.|
|Neutral to Trusted||Death By Zoom Lens||+1 Accuracy with the Pistol and Assault Rifle||Scarlet Lake's voice over your radio steadies your nerves (and your aim).|
|Disliked||Rivalry||-5% cooldown on all Abilities||Your general dislike of Scarlet Lake provokes you into trying your best - to show her up, of course.|
|Animosity or Hatred||Rivalry II||-10% cooldown on all Abilities||Being forced to work with Scarlet Lake is driving you nuts... fortunately, that anger keeps you focused.|
Dossier Intel LocationsEdit
- 1:Automatically gained after finishing with Saudi Arabia, during your first encounter with Scarlet on the airplane. You will always have this meeting, it does not matter which hub you choose to go to first.
- 2: During the Investigate Warehouse District Data Trail mission, after bugging the servers, there is a file close to the exit towards the roofs (where the jamming device is).
- 3: Gained after hacking a computer on the 3rd floor of the embassy during the Intercept Surkov at US Embassy mission.
- Secret Fact: Gained by a multitude of ways. One is during a conversation with Omen Deng in the final mission should the option to Download PDA Files be selected when prompted. Another is during a conversation with Scarlet Lake herself, should the player venture slightly further through the Graybox facilty and find her in an interrogation room. The third is during the final conversation with Henry Leland (should he be the final boss) if Scarlet was not encountered and the option to Spare Leland is chosen. Scarlet will enter the room and reveal this fact, very near the conclusion of the game.
- Scarlet's dossier describes her personality exactly. When you first meet her she appears friendly and even flirty, later in her emails she tries to appear casual, telling jokes and even trying to appear overconfident in herself. With a +7 reputation or higher when Michael gets her to open up, meeting her in person once again has her revealing her true personality of an isolated, quiet, and closed off woman.
- If questioned on her career as an assassin, she will reveal she's been an assassin since she was 14. She will also go to tell you that she personally only kills the target and never takes collateral damage. This does fit with what occurs in Taipei, as Halbech is the one who arranged the riots in the assassination attempt.
- The game purposefully misleads the player into assuming that Scarlet meeting Michael may not have been coincidental. Henry Leland questions Michael on this directly, shown early on in the game. A scene in one of the development trailers turned into promotional wallpaper shows a woman with long red hair at the Greece Safehouse, naked and lying in bed waiting for Michael Thorton with a gun hidden behind her as he walks through the door, suggesting she poses a hidden danger to him. While Scarlet kept her role as an assassin a secret from him, it is shown throughout the game that their meeting was indeed coincidental, and that she has no intention of harming Thorton. Instead, the one who staged their path to cross with Michael and placed him in danger is revealed to be Mina Tang. This is either an intended surprising twist, or a path of the story that was scrapped during the game's development and remade into such.
- Scarlet's immediate sense of Michael Thorton's involvement in major events during their coincidental meeting is explained in the e-mail sent upon arrival in the first hub after Saudi Arabia if the player were to tell her Michael is an oil baron. She explains her suspicion came from observing Michael and noticing the distinct smell of gunpowder on his person, leading her to doubt any dismissal he may have given her theory.
| Graybox Alan Parker, Henry Leland, Michael Thorton, Mina Tang, Sean Darcy, Yancy Westridge|
|Graybox Factions Alpha Protocol, Halbech Corporation, U.S. Military Alpha Protocol|
|Saudi Arabia Ali Shaheed, Omar Nasri, , Al-Samad Lieutenant, Scarlet Lake|
|Saudi Arabia Factions Al-Samad|
|Rome Conrad Marburg, Gelateria Nico Proprietor, Jibril Al-Bara, Madison Saint James|
|Rome Factions CIA, Deus Vult|
|Moscow Albatross, Championchik, Grigori Pazinhov, Konstantin Brayko, SIE, Sergei Surkov, Sis|
|Moscow Factions G22, Russian Mafia, Surkov's Guards, VCI|
|Taipei Hong Shi, Omen Deng, Ronald Sung, Steven Heck, Wen Shu|
|Taipei Factions Chinese Secret Police, NSB, White Oak Mountain Triad|