Conrad Marburg is the Chief of Operations for the Veteran Combat Initiative. He is also an elite member of Halbech's inner circle, working directly for Henry Leland. He travels to Rome on behalf of Halbech to help carry out their plans to start a global conflict for profit.
Notable Quotes Edit
- "Leave Rome. If we see each other again, it will be the last time."
- — Conrad Marburg
Marburg was Chief of Security for Halbech a year ago before he resigned and took up the job of Chief of Operations for the Veteran Combat Initiative. Whatever his reasons for the transfer, it is unlikely he has given up his commitment to Halbech, so the career change is something of a mystery.
Judging from employee reports from his tenure at Halbech, Marburg doesn't have a good read on people - in almost all respects except for military hires, he's chosen employees poorly. He assumes professionalism and loyalty, yet doesn't test for it... but once an employee has proven themselves disloyal, he is quick to let them go and sever all ties. He gives people one chance to prove themselves, and if they let him down, he lets them go abruptly.
Marburg still carries out VCI field operations, and judging from the debriefings, he's a one-man army. He's carried out operations in Kuwait, South Africa, and was believed to have been involved in an oil refinery explosion in Moscow... in each instance, he was in and out, quickly and efficiently.
Marburg keeps his mission in mind - he has no sense of bravado or chivalry, and will retreat from a battle if a prolonged firefight is jeopardizing his mission. He expects the same of his subordinates, and they all understand the nature of sacrifice when it comes to accomplishing an objective.
Marburg is getting along in years, but he still trains in martial arts almost every morning after his ten mile run - opponents who think that getting in close is enough to take him down will be in for a shock. Marburg is exceptionally skilled in hand-to-hand combat, so unless an attacker is confident in their hand to hand skills, a firefight with Marburg has a chance of turning out better than a brawl will. The only time he is unlikely to outmaneuver or block an opponent is when he is reloading his pistol - any other time will have him ready and on his guard to take down opponents.
Records indicate Marburg did not officially survive whatever happened in Pakistan, but he was clearly on a United States operation when the Pakistani incident took place. Whatever the mission's official name, someone matching Conrad's profile was serving a role for a black ops agency named "Deus Vult." The results of the mission were disastrous enough that the files and all trace of the operation were destroyed. An entire Delta Force team was lost, relations with Pakistan were nearly destroyed - whatever took place could've embarrassed the military and the administration to the world.
Secret Fact: Leland uncovered Marburg's past and used it to his benefit. Once Leland discovered Marburg worked in a black operations division with little or no accountability (and prone to disposing of agents), he quickly accessed his contacts within the government to see if a current iteration of Deus Vult existed... leading him to Alpha Protocol, and to its agent roster.
1. Automatically gained on arriving in Rome
2. During Bug CIA Listening Post
5. During Investigate Marburg's Villa (you need to purchase Clearinghouse Intel)
6. During Intercept Marburg at the Museum of Art
Secret Fact: Found on a computer in the room leading to the interview room in the Infiltrate Alpha Protocol mission.
Interactions with Mike ThortonEdit
Basically, if you reply in a suave manner during your conversations with him, during the last mission in Rome, he won't escape, allowing you to kill him.
If you are intending to force him to fight you, you need to have a low reputation with Marburg. Having done enough of Moscow to at least meet SIE, before meeting with Marburg, will meet with his disapproval (He and SIE hate each other). Also, you will automatically, as part of the conversation, tell him what you know of him, which impresses him greatly, gaining you +2 or +3 reputation. Which makes it very hard to piss him off enough to get him to fight you. Having the Suave perk helps greatly, and according to some sources if you use aggressive or professional too much before meeting him, he is impossible to bait.
Otherwise, continue to be professional to him as a very high standing and the right pragmatic statements in your final meeting can sway him in your favor and remove him as an adversary.
His actions in the endgame are shaped by how much Dossier intel you have on him, and if you brought it up with him in your "last" meeting.
How to Kill MarburgEdit
- In order to kill Marburg in Rome, you must have the Suave perk, a majority of Suave dialogue choices throughout all conversations up to the final mission in Rome, and a low reputation (-3 or lower) with Marburg.
- In order to kill Marburg in the the endgame, the player must have discovered that Madison Saint James is Alan Parker's daughter. Parker must be informed that Madison was killed/almost killed by Marburg in Rome when he is contacted in the final mission.
A mission listed in italics means that mission does not need to be completed in order to finish a playthrough. The words (Determinant) mean this character only may appear in that mission.
- Contact Jibril Al-Bara/Contact Halbech Informant
- Investigate Marburg's Villa
- Intercept Marburg at the Museum of Art (can be killed)
- Infiltrate Alpha Protocol (Determinant; can be killed)
- It is implied by Madison that Marburg is gay when she says that he has never serviced a female guest if you choose Madison as your handler during Investigate Marburg's Villa.
- Marburg is never fought alone for more than a few seconds. Unlike the other bosses, he will continue to call his henchmen.
- The strongest specification being Marburg's comment that it is a "Contractual Dispute" when you first meet him, it is never specifically clarified why Marburg and SIE hate each other. He obviously keeps her on the VCI payroll because they need her skills, though he sees her in disdain.
- If you either get Marburg to know that Parker betrayed him (or let Madison die and let Parker know that Marburg killed his daughter), then Marburg will face you in place of Parker during the final mission of the game; this makes Marburg the only boss, optional/mandatory, that can be fought twice throughout the game. Every other boss is only fought once.
| Graybox Alan Parker, Henry Leland, Michael Thorton, Mina Tang, Sean Darcy, Yancy Westridge|
|Graybox Factions Alpha Protocol, Halbech Corporation, U.S. Military Alpha Protocol|
|Saudi Arabia Ali Shaheed, Omar Nasri, , Al-Samad Lieutenant, Scarlet Lake|
|Saudi Arabia Factions Al-Samad|
|Rome Conrad Marburg, Gelateria Nico Proprietor, Jibril Al-Bara, Madison Saint James|
|Rome Factions CIA, Deus Vult|
|Moscow Albatross, Championchik, Grigori Pazinhov, Konstantin Brayko, SIE, Sergei Surkov, Sis|
|Moscow Factions G22, Russian Mafia, Surkov's Guards, VCI|
|Taipei Hong Shi, Omen Deng, Ronald Sung, Steven Heck, Wen Shu|
|Taipei Factions Chinese Secret Police, NSB, White Oak Mountain Triad|