Pavel Vanyaev (Championchik) is a former olympic heavyweight boxer who won a gold olympic medal. During the events of Alpha Protocol, he is hired by Sergei Surkov as his personal bodyguard. He is a towering giant of a man who fights with his fists head on.
Notable Quotes Edit
- "You tired of running little man?"
- — Championchik's taunt to Michael Thorton during Thorton's attack on Sergei Surkov.
Born in St. Petersburg as Pavel Vanyaev, he grew into a towering young man fond of basketball. In his mid-teens, a local gym owner took him under his wing, convinced Vanyaev would make a phenomenal boxer. The owner was not disappointed: before his 18th birthday, Pavel was winning bouts against boxers with three times his experience, speedily rising through the ranks to compete in international competitions - even winning the gold medal in the 2008 Summer Olympics.
Not long ago, Championchik accepted a contract with businessman Sergei Surkov, who claimed his life was in danger due to escalating underworld tensions in Moscow. However, relying on Championchik's image as a national hero likely helps Surkov far more than his brawn - and as long as Surkov keeps paying him handsomely, the boxer has no cause to complain.
His previous coaches (of which he has gone through many) have remarked that Pavel is ill-suited for the life of a bodyguard should things become dangerous. While intimidating, Championchik has a simple-minded reliance that when a fight starts, it will be settled with fists. This resulted in an extended hospital stay in 2005 after an altercation with several drunken fans resulted in the removal of two bullets from his left leg... had the bullet hit a major artery, he would never have lived long enough to win his gold medal in boxing.
Secret Fact: Championchik always wears his gold medal, even while he sleeps. He broke the nose of his last coach when he jokingly suggested it was "Pavel's security blanket."
Championchik is a reference to Russian boxer Nikolai Valuev.
Interactions with Michael ThortonEdit
- During the mission Prevent Surkov's Escape, Michael Thorton will be forced to either subdue or kill Championchik to continue his pursuit of Sergei Surkov if the player chooses not to accept Surkov's deal. Whether Championchik is subdued using martial arts or shot with a gun will influence the mission report summarizing the mission. If martial arts were used, the game recognizes Michael's skills. If a gun was used, the game will reference Championchik's dossier of failing to anticipate his opponents using a weapon.
- During the Contact Surkov at Moscow Office mission, Gained automatically as you first meet Championchik during the conversation.
- If you reroute the weapons shipment to Grigori during the Investigate Weapon Shipments mission, you can reply to his mail and choose the "direct" option to gain intel on Championchik.
- Found on a computer near the start of the Prevent Surkov's Escape mission.
- Secret Fact: In the Assault Brayko's Mansion mission, after hacking the computer near the vault in Geting Hallbech data quest.
| Graybox Alan Parker, Henry Leland, Michael Thorton, Mina Tang, Sean Darcy, Yancy Westridge|
|Graybox Factions Alpha Protocol, Halbech Corporation, U.S. Military Alpha Protocol|
|Saudi Arabia Ali Shaheed, Omar Nasri, , Al-Samad Lieutenant, Scarlet Lake|
|Saudi Arabia Factions Al-Samad|
|Rome Conrad Marburg, Gelateria Nico Proprietor, Jibril Al-Bara, Madison Saint James|
|Rome Factions CIA, Deus Vult|
|Moscow Albatross, Championchik, Grigori Pazinhov, Konstantin Brayko, SIE, Sergei Surkov, Sis|
|Moscow Factions G22, Russian Mafia, Surkov's Guards, VCI|
|Taipei Hong Shi, Omen Deng, Ronald Sung, Steven Heck, Wen Shu|
|Taipei Factions Chinese Secret Police, NSB, White Oak Mountain Triad|